Thursday, August 9, 2007

In Pieces

Here is what the TV currently looks like. We also bought our SS180 (visit: www.vesparestoration.blogspot.com) in pieces as well. I HIGHLY recommend first time restorers do NOT buy a scooter this way, especially a Lambretta with all its parts. It's a good way to buy an incomplete scooter unknowningly, which will cost you a lot more in the end potentially. We bought the Vespa SS180 from a friend we have known and trusted for a long time. We bought the Lambretta TV175, pictured below, from Stuart Werner who has a very good reputation for being honest and upfront, plus he is also respected for the quality of his bikes he sold after restoring himself. We spoke with mentors Tom G. and Christopher Markley before purchasing and the advice they gave me, "is go with it Jeremy. Stu is honest and will tell you what you're missing and what it will cost you." The bike is not complete and Stu did point it all out and after more research I have learned it will cost $$. I can spend just under $1,000 on the suspension alone (if I get the set up I want, which I won't because $1,000 for three shocks is over kill for my purposes). So think about that! I paid $1100 for my TV with two motors and a missing disc brake/front hub and all three shocks. The front hub is $450 new and three performance shocks are $900; therefore the bike is not $1100 rather it is $1350. You need to think carefully when restoring a bike. A complete unrestored TV engine will bring about $500, so you can see that's not balancing the books. I may decide to fully restore the second TV engine and hold on to it for collector's sake or sell it to generate revenue for the restoration of the bike. I have seen original running TVs sell for under $3750 and I can guarantee that my bike will be close to $5000-$6000 in parts/paint. I am totally cool with that and knew that going into it. Just make sure you are too. Note that my second engine, which is 90% complete, is in my basement and not included in these photos.

No comments: