Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lambretta tool: Jeremy Sutton's silent block extractor/installer

To see the finished tool and see it in action, click here.

My very basic silent block tool design. Here's what I used:
1) 1/2 x 8 inch bolt with welded nut on one side (recommend you do not weld it for ease of use).
2) A variety of washer sizes with quite a few small ones so I can stack them up when extracting the sb.
3) 2x3 inch pipe.
4) 2 and 1/2 inch circles cut in steel with with 1/2 inch hole in middle for bolt.
5) I used an angle grinder to smooth all surfaces.

Note: one modification I will make on my next trip to Portland (where I make my tools with my father-in-law, who has 30 plus years welding experience and more) will be to cut a new pipe a bit longer with a carved arch in it to fit the engine case perfectly and ensure the sb is pulled out perfectly straight.
It is imperative that the extractor pipe is flush with your engine case so that the silent block is pulled out straight and installed in straight. Any angle than straight could result in cracking your case, seriously! I spoke with two of my mentors on this (Tom G. and Mike A.) and it's not worth taking any chances. Below, I have provided you with a template to use to cut your extracting pipe to fit your case.
Three to four cuts are required:
1) one to two cuts to cut the length of the pipe.
2) for the final two 1/2" cuts stand the pipe vertically.
3) roll the pipe on its side and cut the 3 and 6/3" cut.

My design for the silent block tool was stolen from an old LCUSA post and then somewhat adapted. You can make it easily with one trip to Home Depot as well or from scraps from a construction yard.

Here's what you need:
1) 1/2 x 7 inch bolt (get open ended. it's easier).
2) A nut for the bolt.
3) 2 x 3 inch threaded pipe.
4) 2 and 1/2 circular conduit or alike.
5) A variety of washers, with three for the small end of your sb for extraction.

No comments: