Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Engine Case Cleaning

This post is a continuation of my previous research.

I can not find anyone who soda blasts or vapor/dry ice blasts in the Bay Area. Crap. So here are alternatives my research turned up beside medium blasting.

"I didn't blast my cases. I first cleaned them some nasty brakecleaner stuff (only as much as needed) and scrubbing, then soaked themin a big rubbermaid tub filled with gallons of household vinegar. Thetrick is to only leave them there for a few days (depending on how dirty) and not longer. Vinegar is a great solvent but can also eat
away at plating (eg for the hardware) if left too long. It will also eventually dissolve cast iron. Don't ask me how I know this. Anyway, just a few days in the vinegar bath, then out they come and more scrubbing, perhaps with some brake cleaner or solvent, but more likely with just a bunch of simple green. Then buff with a brass wire brush
(steel wool works too but can fray into tons of little bits). Fine auto finish sandpaper would probably work too. This gives it a nice matte factory finish. I am not a fan of painting or chroming cases--maybe for a custom bike, but I didn't want it for my TV. I have never tried media blasting but that would probably work too if you did some prepwork on the cases and had a guy you could work with and understood instructions. You want softer media of course (the
shop I go to for other parts uses walnut shells) and might even get a nice satin finish." - Ming

1 comment:

dancilhoney said...

Business cleaners usually deliver great value to the place of work environment, without having to worry about staffing a team of cleaners. Office Cleaning Johannesburg