Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lambretta tools by Dien Nguyen

My father-in-law has 30 plus years experience as a professional welder and when it come to fabricating most things he can do it. Hell, he redid our entire kitchen in our previous home. He's got mad game when it comes to "projects". I cashed in yet again with him this July (2009). Mr. Nguyen is a refugee from Vietnam and escaped the fall of Saigon with less than 24 hours before it fell. He tells my wife and I stories of his love of Lambrettas when he was younger. He said that Vespas were for old people in Vietnam and young rode Lambrettas. He loves Lambrettas. We went for a ride together a few years back and he can ride too.

Anyhow, I showed him pictures and measurements of a clutch compressor I borrowed from Dano of FLCSC in Oakland and this is what he made me (note that Dano's is in back of mine):I ended up with a professional quality clutch compressor for free made from scraps at my father-in-law's work. I am pretty damn happy.

I wasn't overly worried about polishing mine, but I did grind/sand down the tip of the bolt so as it would not hurt the scoot itself. An alternative design can be found here. It would look something like this.

Another tool he made for me was the con-rod tool. Mr. Nguyen followed Jim M.'s design on this one. I can grind the inside smooth no problem, but to be honest it may not be necessary. Crude looking tools that function properly do not bother me at all as long as they do not hurt the scoot. A crude looking restoration is what would bother me.

Thanx Bo (dad in Vietnamese). As usual I owe you one!

1 comment:

simon uk said...

hi there awesome blog - really informative!

I saw your note about the vespa sign - I have an original lambretta sign from the 60s - looks like the same size as the one you have there already. Let me know if you are interested in it?

Cheers, Si.