Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 1 -- Engine Disassembly


Issues:
- Some casing studs came out with the nut.

- At least one of the threaded holes in the casing are shot. Heli-coil?

- The kickstart lever was welded on.

- The crank and flywheel are frozen together. I don't have a flywheel remover tool yet. I hope it frees easily. I will post more on this issue later.

I will document the remainder of the disassembly and post a second slideshow for that.

Yes, I know there is a Vespa sign hung. My wife owns a 1967 Vespa SS180. A Lambretta sign will go up as well.

Note: I do not have a clutch basket holding tool, so I used a creative approach. I used a piece of wood to lock the basket and spider. I tapped the wood in with a hammer. My thought is the wood is softer than the metal and would not damage it. I then hit the screw with a impact wrench at the lowest setting just punching it for less than a second each time. Nothing moved so I stepped the wrench up to the second setting and repeated. Again nothing. I stepped it up to the third and final setting and hit again and it broke the nut free. I never fired for a full second in length with the impact wrench. It was fire and immediately release and repeat.

Lessons learned:
"One thing, never try to remove a clutch without a clutch holder. The centre basket (spider) is really soft, and almost impossible to re-align if you bend it. Hopefully yours will be OK. I bent a couple, before I realised it was cheaper (and easier) to use the proper tool.

Your flywheel should come off easily, but remember to put a new woodruff key in when you rebuild. They're cheap, so it's probably worth to have a spare." - Jim

No comments: